A healthy twist on holiday dessert favorites
The holidays are all about spreading cheer…not calories and cavities. So, why not try a few dessert recipes that put a healthier spin on some holiday treat favorites. We offer a few tested (and delicious) recipe ideas for you here:
- Sugar cookies—Now, here’s a lead favorite among holiday treats! Who doesn’t love a butter-rich, sugar-topped cookie? If sugar cookies are a traditional holiday treat in your house, try going gluten-free this year by using almond or coconut flour. FitFoodieFinds.com has a great recipe! Try it; you just might like it.
- Gingerbread cookies—You can’t get more classic than your friendly faced gingerbread cookie. If you’re a gingerbread junkie, try the Ultimate Healthy Gingerbread Cookie recipe at AmysHealthyBaking.com. This guilt-free recipe eliminates butter and refined flour and sugar…and comes in at just 52 calories per cookie!
- Shortbread cookies—The dense, buttery deliciousness of shortbread is often a fan favorite around the holidays. CookingLight.com offers a healthier whole-wheat version that doesn’t skimp on the beloved buttery flavor. Give this Salted Chocolate-Topped Shortbread recipe a try.
- No-bake peanut butter cup bars—Peanut butter and chocolate is a classic and delicious combo. This healthy recipe from Detoxinista.com offers a Paleo- and vegan-friendly recipe.
- Cheesecake—Who doesn’t love cheesecake? It’s dense, decadent and delicious! Offer a lighter version this year by trying Foodnetwork.com’s Chocolate Truffle Cheesecake recipe that replaces most of the cream cheese with cottage cheese.
These are just a few healthy dessert ideas that you can try this holiday season. Visit any of the websites noted above to discover others. Here’s hoping your holidays are happy and healthy!
Back to List